Wicklow Hospice is a purpose-built facility that provides 15 in-patient public beds and a new base for the Wicklow Specialist Community Palliative Care team. The site at Magheramore was kindly donated by the Columban Sisters and its opening its opening in 2020 marks the culmination of over ten years of incredible fundraising by the Wicklow Hospice Foundation and the local community. Now operated by Our Lady’s Hospice & Care Services, all aspects of governance, management and clinical & non-clinical operations including fundraising have transferred to Our Lady’s Hospice & Care Services. The services are provided in co-operation with the Health Services Executive (HSE) and the Department of Health. The Wicklow Hospice Foundation continue to support the mission and values of Hospice care.
The Board of The Wicklow Hospice Foundation CLG (CHY 18985 / RCN 2007 3800) are as follows:
- Sean Dorgan (Chairperson): an experienced company director, he was previously Chairman of Ulster Bank Group, Tesco Ireland, Dublin Institute of Technology and Irish Management Institute (IMI); he was also Secretary General of two Government Departments, and CEO of Chartered Accountants Ireland and of IDA Ireland.
- Evanne Cahill:Co-Owner and Director of Glenhaven Foods (a manufacturing, retail and distribution business for 30 years, employing over 100) and director of other companies; started career as nurse and midwife.
- Pat Corcoran (Chairman of Building): an experienced chartered accountant, financial executive and company director, he was Finance Director of Arklow Shipping for 30 years, CEO of Quayfront Ltd, director of Bio-Medical Research Ltd and other companies, and Chairman of the board of Woodenbridge G.C.
- Dr Brendan Cuddihy (Chairman 2009-2016): a general practitioner for 30 years with a special interest in palliative care medicine; Founding Partner of Greystones Harbour Family Practice and former chair of Irish Medical Organisation NCHD Committee, of Co Wicklow GAA Hurling Board and of Eire Og Juvenile GAA.
- Marie Kindlon: is operations manager in her family company and was previously a HR executive with Hewlett Packard; co-founder of the Foundation and head of fundraising until 2013.
- Eugene Murray: former CEO of the Irish Hospice Foundation; member of board of St Luke’s Hospital; member of various national health councils, committees and forums; in RTE career was member of Executive Board, Director of Business Planning and Head of Television Current Affairs.
- Bill Porter: Founder, owner and operator of Avondale Sports & Leisure, and a leading community and charity events organiser; Chairman of Wicklow County Athletics and of Rathdrum Cancer Support Group.
- Tom McGrath (Company Secretary): he is an employment consultant and former trade union executive and Labour Court Deputy Chairman.
- Helen Nolan: is Secretary to the board of Bank of Ireland Group since 2009. She has senior executive experience as Head of Internal Audit and Head of Finance in banking and insurance roles. Helen is responsible for all aspects of board and corporate governance, has senior executive experience in successful banking and life assurance businesses and has led the development and implementation of the investment strategy for the Bank’s main DB Pension Fund. Helen has extensive audit and accounting experience, and has Chaired the Audit Committee of the Department of Agriculture for six years.
- Pat Costello: Following a successful military career with the Irish Defence Forces, Pat went on to gain a range of experience in leadership roles in Ireland and internationally. Pat was CEO of Irish Tax Institute and recently retired from his role as CEO at Chartered Accountants Ireland after 13 years. He is currently on the board of the Policing Authority and has been part of the GAA Audit Committee.
All of the Wicklow Hospice Foundation trustees act in a voluntary capacity and receive no payments or expenses of any kind.
To view the most recent annual report and financial statements of the Wicklow Hospice Foundation please click here https://www.wicklowhospice.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Wicklow-Hospice-Accounts-Year-End-31-December-2019.pdf